Thursday, September 26, 2013

Growing Slow?

This quote was too good not to share...

"I need to slow down.
And I'm asking the Lord to help me do it.
I want to move slowly enough to be aware of all the joys He has hidden for me.
I want to slow down enough to grow as He wants me to grow. 
I want to be quiet enough to hear His voice. 
I need His wisdom to know how to spend my time and how to order my days."
by Kathryn Hillen
 

It was stunning to stop & ponder about how growing "slow" could possibly be a good thing.
Slow? What????
At first I was thinking, "No! I want to GROW fast! I want to 'get there', be mature! Wise!"
But then...God brought to mind, a dieffenbachia plant I have.
 
When I used to have it in in my very sunny bathroom, it would grow REALLY fast .
So fast that the stems were all slender, and when they would get any taller than about 1 foot,
the whole plant would start leaning over, and eventually fall,
being too heavy for the too slender stem to hold up.
 
Ah-hah.
I finally can see that growing SLOWer can have it's benefits,
that we can be strong & sturdy enough to handle the weight of what He allows into our life.
 
Yes, words to chew on.....and chew on...and chew on.
I can tell it's going to take some chewing to get this "bitter but good for me" news
to go down deep into my soul.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wise thoughts! I love this slow growing wisdom, I want a strong stalk =] so I can bloom big for Him!

    ReplyDelete