Tuesday, September 12, 2017


Sometimes Being With God is Like…
Nancy Kenaston
Aug. 29th, 2017

Sometimes being with God is like doing pushups. Sometimes it’s just plain hard work!  To focus, to pay attention, to listen, to direct my thoughts, instead of letting them drive me elsewhere, everywhere else, but where I want and need to be.

Sometimes being with God is like taking out the garbage.  Sometimes it just stinks!  I have to deal with stinky attitudes, smelly motives, or memories, stuff I’d rather turn away from and not have to deal with. And I have to clean out the garbage can too! I have to humble myself, and lay down all my pride, get down on my knees, get my hands dirty, while I clean it all out of my heart.  And as I lay it all out before Him, being honest, and eventually seeking and receiving His forgiveness, He makes all things, including me, new and clean again.

Sometimes being with God is like sitting in class, listening to a topic I’m not interested in.  He usually quits talking then, not wasting either of our time.  But, He’ll bring up the subject again and again, until I’m ready to hear and learn it.

Sometimes being with God is like doing laundry or dishes.  It feels a bit mundane, but necessary.  And there’s a therapeutic element to it. It actually can be relaxing, if I focus and am present.  Things are ALWAYS better when I’m done.

Sometimes being with God is like me desperately pouring my heart out to Him, and He is utterly quiet and doesn’t say a word.  I won’t say He doesn’t “respond”, because I know He hears me, and I’m pretty certain He has thoughts and feelings about what I’m saying, but He’s not revealing any of them to me.  I frustratingly wonder and ask “Why God? Why is this happing?  Why do You let it continue?  Why don’t You stop it, or teach me a better way?  Why don’t You change me or them?  Who don’t You tell me what to do? Why are You so utterly silent? What is it You want me to learn? Or do? What???

Sometimes being with God is like walking in a beautiful garden, looking, listening, learning, being grateful and or amazed at the beauty, gifts and blessings before and around me.  Being surprised by new discoveries!  Being delighted by the things He reveals to me.

Sometimes being with God is like being at a rock concert, and I’m the ONLY one in the audience!  I’m up front, right on stage!  He’s talking to me?  He’s focused on me?  I’m SO focused on HIM!  He is speaking loud and clear, with a message directly to and for my heart only.

Sometimes being with God is like being on a sweet, lovely, quiet date, with the lover of my soul.  He knows me!  Better than I know myself!  He created me!  He knows exactly where I’ve been, every day of my life, and where I am today, right now, and where I am headed, even though it’s all still a complete mystery to me. 

Today it’s been like a lovely walk in a garden.  Discovering! Him revealing.  Me staring in amazement, in awe, at the loveliness of His creation, and His tender and gentle revelation to me. Lovely! Amazing! Beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment